Your Church WeddingSt. Nicholas Church, Laindon with Dunton
Congratulations on your forthcoming marriage. We are delighted that you have chosen St. Nicholas Church for your ceremony, as weddings have been led here for over 700 years.
We are fortunate that the size of the church is perfect for both smaller weddings and larger ones – up to 100 guests.
We are able to organise an organist who can play almost any music you require. Alternatively, recorded music can be played through our sound system.
Church of England Regulations
There are certain procedures that need to be followed for/within a church wedding so that both UK and Church Law requirements are met. Thus includes:
- The service needs to take place between 8am and 6pm on any day.
- Couples need to be over 18 years of age.
- You will need to demonstrate a connection to the church. This can include:
- Living in the Parish for at least 6 months.
- Being Baptised (Christened) or Confirmed within the Parish.
- Attending regular Church Services at the church for at least 6 months.
- Your parents, after you were born lived in the Parish or attended regular church services for at least 6 months.
º Proof of Identity needs to be provided (see checklist)
º Copies of any final decree of absolute need to be provided (see checklist)
Things to Consider
- Which hymns? – Usually two or three required
- Which Reading and who will read them?
- Entrance/Exit Music
- Order of Service – We can help you do this if need be.
- Who will be the witnesses? Two people required to sign the registers with you.
At time of Booking
- We ask for a £50 deposit to secure your date. This is non-refundable but deducted from the initial cost.
- We will also need to see your passport or driving licence and you’ll need to bring a photocopy of it for us to keep on file, in order for us to meed legal requirements.
- If your previous marriage has been dissolved, we will need a copy of the final decree of absolute. This is to be held on file and ensures we are meeting legal requirements.
- If you live outside of our Parish, you will need to arrange for your Banns to be read at our Parish Church. We can ‘look up’ which church this is for you, if you’re unsure.
4-6 weeks before the wedding
- We will read you Banns of Marriage at three continuous Sunday Church Services. We will let you know the dates for this in advance, so you can attend the church service if you wish.
Month before the Wedding
- We will send/ issue an invoice for outstanding fees. This must be paid to our Wedding Co-Ordinator at a Sunday Service.